𝐃𝐢𝐚𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐬 can affect the nerve endings and blood supply to your feet over time. You may not even notice this happening.
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐨:
– keep your blood glucose to the level recommended by your GP
– examine your feet every day
– Avoid walking barefoot on the sand, in the seawater or by the pool.
– Avoid wearing flip flops or new shoes which may cause cuts or blisters.
– Avoid sunburn by applying high factor sun cream to all areas of your feet, except between your toes.
– Your feet may swell in the hot weather and shoes may become tighter. This can cause cuts or blisters.
– Check all areas of your feet at the end of every day. Bring a mini first aid kit with some dressings and antiseptic cream in case you get a cut or blister on your foot.